Monday, August 27, 2012

What We're Reading Around Here

Isaac and Joshua LOVE to go the library!  We have always promoted a love of reading around our home and the wee boys are following suit.  They enjoy preschool story time each week with all of the stories and songs. 


So off we went the other day to get a week's worth of books.  They were so excited to find another book in the "Oliver and Amanda Pig" series.  The older children read these over and over when they were young - Rachel, especially, had a love for Amanda Pig!
Joshua, especially, is very content to sit and look and books for quite some time. Both boys love to have books read to them until Mom gets weary!  Now David.............he's another story!  This boy would read twelve hours a day if we would let him.  He loves history, strategy, and anything military.  We are convinced he will be a four-star general some day!






Now, as for myself, I have loved to read for many years and love to collect my favorite books.  When we were at the library the other day, I was browsing in the children's section and came across one of my all-time favorite books when I was in fifth and sixth grade...................my parents will recognize this book for sure! 


So, I checked this book out to read and see why this was so intriguing to my ten and eleven year old mind.  (Disclaimer:  I would not necessarily recommend this book as it involves a girl who spies on people, writes it all down, and eventually gets found out!)  I finished it last night.............and can't really explain the draw it had on me.  But hey, it was a good trip down memory lane!

One of the BEST books I have read recently is "Ribbon of Years" by Robin Lee Hatcher.  Oh my, this resonated with me and I bought my own copy to add to my collection.  It is the story of a young woman beginning around age 15 and follows her joys, trials, and triumphs through her life as she ages.  Really a great read.





 
Now for a really great non-fiction book that I read recently - "Mrs. Kennedy and Me".  This was a wonderful account of the Kennedy years and what life was like in the White House, written by Jackie Kennedy's personal body guard.

I would love to know what you're reading and what your favorite books are!  Maybe I will start a side-bar that lists my favorite books!

6 comments:

  1. Right now I am reading The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior by Wayne Cordeiro, and sitting in a nice little pile on my bedside table are books that are waiting to be read and those are Forgotten God by Frances Chan (I read Crazy Love by him and that is excellent! and I also have another by Francis Chan that I have yet to read called Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up)and the next on my bedside table is Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt. I have very much enjoyed Francis Chan in his you tube videos as well, the balance beam, and I dare you to pray this are two of my favorites.
    God bless you and your family Anne!
    Kelly Stevens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly, for the recommendations. I have read "Radical" and thought it was wonderful. I have seen Frances Chan on some youtube videos, but have never read any of his books. I will look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now M and I are reading Rifles and War Bonnets by Marian T. Place for school...I really like it! It's about African-American soldiers fighting back the Native Americans after the Civil War. Very interesting, David might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand yet? So good! It did take me a little while to get into it, but I really enjoyed it.
    Right now I am reading "Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. A classic recommended to me by Emily. She loved it and I am liking it too. I'm reading the free kindle version you can find here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082Z447U/ref=yml_dp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have read "Unbroken" and thought it was marvelous! Thanks for the recommendation of WIW - I'll look it up at the library!

      Delete